PayPal to Mpesa Withdrawal and Charges Guide: Before April 2018, withdrawing money from PayPal was a real hassle. You had to involve a few third parties/middlemen to help with the withdrawals.
Some of them would turn out to be sham and scums. Robbing innocent internet entrepreneurs, the rewards of their toil.
Thank God this trend ended with the thoughtful partnership between Safaricom and Transfer-To. So that there’s a convenient service for all Safaricom users – the PayPal to Mpesa withdrawal service.
The netizens can today afford a bright smile. You receive money in your PayPal account and within a matter of two hours or so, after requesting for a withdrawal to mpesa, boom! Money in!
You haven’t moved a step to go to the bank. But you have your money in Kenyan shillings.
What a relief!
Wondering how the process happens? Continue reading this guide as it explains exactly the process of withdrawing money from PayPal to Mpesa.
What is PayPal To Mpesa Services?
This is a money transfer service that PayPal and Mpesa tailored for their customers. This service allows one to move funds between PayPal and Mpesa accounts through linking PayPal to Mpesa.
The service is an innovation of Thunes/formerly TransferTo in partnership with Safaricom and PayPal. And it requires that you possess a PayPal account and a Mpesa account.
Are there Benefits of PayPal Mpesa Transfers?
Yes. There are benefits such as faster payments which happen in a matter of 2 hours only. The payments are secured compared to the daring third-party options that scared people before.
The PayPal withdrawal using the middlemen was one of the most dangerous schemes in the country. People were conned and people lost money.
This has since been a forgotten story. Of course, PayPal has been a timely intervention.
The other thing is that withdrawing cash through this means presents convenience. You don’t need to go any distance – simply sit in your home or office and receive the money.
The attached costs are not high. the processing fee is not exaggerated and this brings around solace.
How to Create a Free PayPal Kenya Account.
First things first.
Let’s learn something about creating a PayPal account. Actually, it’s very simple and doesn’t take a lot of time.
Obviously, before you start enjoying the benefits of this transfer service, you need to have an account. Here’s how to sign up for a PayPal Kenya account.
- Go to the PayPal website PayPal.com. Alternatively, you can download the PayPal app on the Google Play Store.
- While on the website, click “sign up for free” or “Sign Up” which is top of the right-hand side of the screen. There are two types of PayPal accounts you can sign for, the Personal Account and Business Account.
- Use the drop-down list to select your country of origin. However, the country is usually preselected on your behalf. But altogether, select Kenya.
- Enter the email address you think will be okay for you. Create a password that’s unique to the account and it should be a strong password.
- Click continue to fill out the next form with your personal information. Of course, you need to enter your name in the order requested, date of birth, city, mobile number.
- Although it’s not a must, enter the credit or debit card to link to the PayPal account.
- Enter your bank details to link the PayPal account to your bank.
- You should receive an email from PayPal that requires you to confirm the account opening. Click on the link in the email to activate the account.
How Do I Link My PayPal Account to Mpesa?
After creating your account, you need to link PayPal to Mpesa in order to be able to do any transactions between the two money transfer platforms.
You must have an active Mpesa. It’s one of the terms and conditions of linking the two accounts. Remember, the service is for Kenyans.
This is how you link the PayPal and Mpesa accounts;
- Visit the connection paypal-mobilemoney.com/m-pesa
- You need to tap on the “Get Started” button
- Sign in to your account/PayPal. Use the email address that you registered within the first place.
- To connect the two accounts, Mpesa to PayPal, enter your Mpesa mobile number. Click on the button “Link your accounts”.
- You will receive a 4-digit confirmation code to your phone. Enter the code I the next window and click “Confirm”.
- You will receive a confirmation message that your PayPal account has been linked to the Mpesa number you earlier provided.
- Now, at this stage, you can begin withdrawing money from the PayPal account. Simply click the “Start using the service” button and you are good to roll on.
How to Withdraw Money from PayPal to Mpesa.
If you are doing this for the first time, be guaranteed it is not that difficult. I have gathered the following steps to help you with the withdrawals:
- Go to the PayPal’s mobile transfer portal here paypal-mobilemoney.com
- You need to ensure that you are logged into your PayPal Mpesa account.
- Therefore, click on the “Get Started” button
- This should redirect you to a page where you will need to fill in your PayPal login details. Enter your email or mobile number and click “Next”, enter your password and hit next.
- After the login, hit on the “Withdraw from PayPal” button.
- You will see the available balance in USD. Enter the amount of money you want to withdraw and click on the button “Continue to withdraw”.
- Confirm the withdrawal as prompted in the next page.
- You will receive a confirmation message that your withdrawal request was successful. And that processing will be done within 2 hours.
- At the same time, Safaricom will also notify you to confirm the transaction that’s underway.
- After the stipulated time, you will receive the funds in your Mpesa and Safaricom will notify you of this transaction done.
Here are a few important things to note in the PayPal Mpesa withdrawal process:
- The amount you withdrew will convert automatically into KES. You will also see the exchange rate used for the conversion – make sure to mark this.
- It takes 2 hours or thereabout for the money to be transferred from PayPal to Mpesa.
- A person can only withdraw a maximum of Ksh. 70,000 per transaction. So, make sure that you do proper calculations.
- You can only withdraw USD using the service. In case you received money in currencies other than USD, you definitely need to convert the funds first into the US dollars.
To do this, go to “Manage Currencies” on your PayPal.
You can always go to the transaction history in your PayPal account to view it. Sometimes, it may happen that you don’t receive the cash within the specified time.
What should you do?
Well, no need to fret. If you don’t receive the money within the expected timeframe, contact the Transfer-To customer service.
Be sure to include your transaction ID (You will see it in the transaction history page), and the email address.
What is PayPal to Mpesa Charges?
The PayPal Mpesa charges are not exorbitant. That’s something TransferTo have been kind of keen to maintain, to be fair.
TransferTo normally subtracts 3 percent conversion fee for every amount of money withdrawn from a PayPal account. The exchange rate you see when withdrawing the money is already short of the fee.
So, TransferTo does not charge its fee on the amount of money being withdrawn. But on the exchange rate used for conversion from USD to KES.
How to Transfer Money from Mpesa to Paypal.
The quick steps to uploading money from your Mpesa to PayPal are as follows:
- Visit the mobile transfer PayPal portal. Tap on the “Top Up to PayPal”.
- Go to Lipa na Mpesa on your Mpesa Menu
- Go to the paybill where you will enter Business Number as 800088
- Enter the account number – this should be the Mpesa number with which you registered you PayPal.
- Key in the amount you want to send
- Enter the Mpesa pin, confirm and send
- Wait for a couple of hours for the money to be transferred from Mpesa to PayPal.
- Then, you will receive a confirmation message that your money has been transferred from Mpesa to PayPal.
Since the inception of PayPal to Mpesa withdrawal services, business has not been bad on the part of the online shoppers and entrepreneurs. The Kenyan internet community is now at peace and feel safest than it was before.
The service has brought a whole bundle of benefits. You don’t have to wait for long before the money is wired directly into your idolized mobile phone.
All you need to enjoy the service is to have an active Mpesa account and a PayPal account. Then make it your homework to link the two accounts in a very simple process.
Also Read: A Guide to PayPal MPESA