In this guide, you learn everything you need to know about CRB clearance certificate. That includes why you should apply for clearance and how to get the certificate.
The CRB clearance certificate is the document you’ll use to clear your name from the CRB listing in case you were listed for defaulting loans. The certificate helps you to get a clean bill of health so that you can qualify to borrow again.
The CRB clearance certificate is important because it can help you get a clear credit history after defaulting on your borrowing.
Why Should You Apply for a CRB Clearance Certificate?
You should apply for a CRB clearance certificate for four reasons:
- To get a loan from money lending institutions
- To apply for a job especially jobs offered by the government
- If you want to secure a tender job with the government
- To be nominated for a political position
How to Get a CRB Clearance Certificate
A CRB clearance certificate is an important document to get if you’re one of the millions of the unfortunate Kenyans who landed in CRB’s listing of loan defaulters.
To be clear, you’re eligible for the certificate if you have negative credit report but you do not have pending loans from lending institutions.
You will need to make an application via a licensed CRB company to get a CRB certificate.
Companies Approved to Issue CRB Clearance Certificates in Kenya
The companies approved by the Central Bank of Kenya to issue citizens with CRB clearance certificates are:
- Trans-union Africa
- Metropol Corporation
- Creditinfo Kenya
As for the cost of the certificate, it is important to note that you will pay Ksh. 2,200 for the document.
1. Get a CRB Clearance Certificate Online via Creditinfo
- Copy and paste https://ke.creditinfo.com into your browser and hit search.
- On the site’s homepage, click Clearance Certificate.
- On the next page, choose whether you want a personal clearance certification or a company clearance certification. Let’s go with the personal clearance certificate so click on it.
- Provide your full Name as it appears on your National ID Document (a must).
- Enter your National ID number (a must).
- Provide your mobile work, home, main, or Fax number (a must).
- Provide your home or work email (a must) and verify the email (a must).- you can add more emails.
- Add your National ID, Take a photo of it, and do not attach a PDF File (a must) – you can do a couple of attachments in this section, which is optional.
- Choose from the provided reasons why you are applying for a clearance certificate. The reasons are four namely, credit application, applying for a tender, applying for a job, and political party nomination (a must).
- Complete the capture to confirm you are not a robot.
- Hit the submit button and wait for a response.
2. Get a CRB Clearance Certificate via Metropol Crystobol Corporation
- From your phone and with your Safaricom line dial *433#
- Choose number 4 for the CRB clearance certificate.
- Key in your National ID number and confirm.
- Either enter zero (0) or provide the agent that referred you (Metropol Corporation).
- Confirm the details you’ve provided to proceed with registration.
- You will be asked to pay Ksh. 100 as the registration fee. Use your National ID number as the account number.
- Metropol Crystobol will send a message with a PIN to you.
- Visit the Metropol Corporation website.
- Key in your PIN.
- Pay the Ksh. 2,200 through paybill number 186644.
- Follow the prompts to download your CRB clearance certificate.
3. Get CRB Clearance Certificate via Trans-Union Africa
- Open the messaging app on your phone, type in your full name and send it as an SMS to 21272 or 21CRB.
You might want to consider using the Trans-Union Nipashe app, which is currently available on Google Play Store.
That is because the app if you send an SMS to Trans-union through 12272 or 21CRB, a total of Ksh. 19 worth of airtime is deducted from your total airtime balance.
The Trans-union Nipashe app on the other hand will only use your data and save on messaging charges.
- With your Safaricom line pay a one-time fee of Ksh. 50 to paybill number 212121 and key in your National ID number as the account number – you can also use Airtel money to make payments.
- Pay the Ksh. 2,200 through paybill 212121 and wait for a transaction confirmation message.
- Email the transaction details to [email protected] and n email with your CRB clearance certificate will be sent to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Long Does it Take to Get CRB Certificate?
It does not take long to get the certificate online. Once you pay the Ksh. 2,200, you will wait for 1 to 3 days to get a clearance certificate.
2. How Much Does it Cost to Get CRB Clearance Certificate?
First, before you get a CRB clearance certificate, you will need to ensure you have settled all your outstanding loans.
After confirming that you don’t have an outstanding loan balance, use a licensed company like Trans-union Africa, Creditinfo Africa, and Metropol Crystobol Corporation.
You will send Ksh. 2,200 through either of the mentioned companies to pay for your CRB clearance certificate.
3. How Do I Get a CRB Certificate Online?
You can get your CRB clearance certificate through Creditinfo Kenya.
Simply click here, check on personal or company clearance certification and follow simple instructions such as filling in your full name, National ID number, and phone number.
4. What Documents Do I Need for a CRB Check?
In Kenya, like the majority of countries, you only need your National ID to get your background credit history.
That is because it is with the Nation ID number that loans are disbursed. Also, a National ID card is unique and therefore impossible to share.
- How to Transfer Money from Mpesa to Corporative Bank
- How to Get Vooma Loan
- MShwari Lock Savings Account
Keep in mind that while a CRB clearance certificate is essential for proving your credit worthiness, you can’t get it if you have an outstanding loan.
You first must clear your outstanding loan and then apply for the certificate.