A product of Fintech Giant Zenka Finance Limited, the Zenka loan app could be your quick fix to a financial emergency. That includes a medical emergency, a necessary purchase, or just about anything that money can fix.
Zenka promises a fast loan on your smartphone of anything between Ksh 500 and Ksh 30,000, depending on your credit history and MPESA records.
Though their interests are pretty steep, they allow you to pay the loan within 60 days or up to 180 days if you opt for an extension.
But how do you get the app, apply for the loan, and repay it?
Those are some of the things I’ll share with you in this review.
GIFT!– Get a Free Personal Finance Guide from our friend centwarrior.com. Cent Warrior is a tribe of non-conforming financial warriors promoting a generation that’s financially free and debt free. They have developed a wonderful free personal finance guide (Click Link to download) that you’ll find helpful in planning your finances and avoiding debt in general. We really hope that you’ll find it worthwhile to start building a solid foundation towards your financial freedom. Check them out here on social media.
But before that, below is a summary of the rates, loan amount, and other essential information you must know before applying for the loan.
|Minimum Loan Amount
|Maximum Loan Amount
|9-39% of your loan amount
|61 – 180 days
|Late Repayment Penalty
|1% of your Loan amount
Zenka Loan App Eligibility and Requirements
Zenka expects you to meet these basic requirements before you can start the loan application process.
- Own an Android smartphone
- Be 18 years and above
- Have a valid National ID or passport
- Own a registered M-PESA line
Zenka Loan App Download Latest
Sadly, Zenka is only available for download on Android and Apple devices. So, those with other phones (Blackberry and others) have no choice but to use the code *841#, which I’ll discuss next.
Generally, here’s how to download Zenka on your Android Smartphone:
- Search for Zenka on Google Play or App Store and download the app on your phone
- Alternatively, search for ‘Zenka’ on Google and download the app
- Install the app on your phone
How to Apply Zenka Loan (Account Registration and Loan Application)
After downloading the Zenka app on your mobile phone, you should follow these steps to sign up for a borrower’s account:
- Launch Zenka on your Android phone
- Wait for Zenka to request access to your phone contact and SMSs and accept
- Select ‘Sign Up’ to allow an application form to pop up
- Fill the application form with your personal information, which includes your name, ID, and address
- Pick a security question and provide its answer as a way to secure your account and retrieve your password if you forget it in the future
- Create your password, which is a 4-digit pin
- ‘Agree’ with the terms and conditions to complete the setup
- Choose the Zenka loan limit you are comfortable paying and click OK (the minimum amount is Ksh 500 while the maximum is Ksh 30,000)
- Wait for a confirmation message from Zenka, indicating a successful loan application
- If your Zenka loan application is successful, Zenka will deposit the loan into your MPESA account.
How Can I Get Zenka Loan Through SMS?
Zenka allows non-smartphone users and non-Android users to apply for loans through the USSD code. It’s simple with these steps:
- Dial *841# on your phone
- Enter your user pin
- Select ‘Apply for a Loan’
- Pick a loan limit you are comfortable paying or manually key in the amount
- Choose your preferred repayment period
If the loan application is successful, Zenka will deposit the money into your M-PESA account.
Zenka App Loan Permissions
Zenka promises that personal data is 100% secure. They promise not to share it with anyone apart from the Credit Reference Bureau, popularly known as CRB.
But from users’ complaints, Zenka shares about your borrowing with your contact once you default in payment and ignore their payment reminders. So, as long as you pay on time, you won’t have a problem.
Generally, here are the personal details that Zenka requests permission for:
- Call log
- Phone contact
- Personal messages
- GPS location
How to Pay for the Loan Using the Zenka Loan App Paybill Number
Zenka expects you to pay the loan within 60-180 days of borrowing. If you don’t, then they’ll remind you via SMS and sometimes via call.
Overall, you can repay the loan using these quick steps:
- Go to ‘MPESA’ on your phone
- Choose ‘Lipa na MPESA.’
- Select ‘Pay Bill’ and then Business Number
- Enter 979988 as the Zenka Business Number
- Click on the account number and enter your registered M-PESA Number
- Enter the amount you want to repay, followed by your MPESA pin
- Confirm the details by pressing OK
- Wait for a confirmation message from Zenka, indicating a successful loan repayment
How to Repay Zenka loan Using the Zenka USSD Code
If you do not have the Zenka loan app, you can repay your loan using the USSD option.
Just follow these steps:
- Dial *841#
- Enter your 4-digit PIN
- Select ‘Repay’ and then follow the ensuing steps
Zenka Late Loan Repayment
Repaying your loan on time improves your credit score and allows you to apply for higher Zenka Loans in the future. Unlike most mobile loan app, Zenka enables you to apply for an extension if you cannot pay the loan in time. However, an extension costs you more money in fees.
For example, you’ll incur a 15% fee or a 7-day extension, 22% for a 14-day extension, and 29% for a 30-day extension. Moreover, you incur a 1% penalty every day from when your loan repayment was due.
What if you fail to pay?
In case of payment default, Zenka can report you to the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB). Once you are CRB-blacklisted, you’ll find it challenging to apply for loans from other lenders until you pay.
How to Reset Your Zenka Pin
In case you forget your Zenka account pin, you can reset it using these steps:
- Launch Zenka on your phone
- Click ‘Sign in’
- Select ‘Forgot PIN’
- Provide the answer to your security question
- Click continue
- Put in your new pin and then confirm it
- Click Save, and that’s it
Zenka Loan Contact Number
Overall, you can reach out to the Zenka customer desk using ant of these contact methods:
- Call Center number: + 254 020 765 0878
- Facebook: @ZenkaKenya
- Twitter: @ZenkaFinance
- Email: email@example.com
You can also reach them on Google Play – the review section.
People Also Ask
1. How Does the Zenka Loan App Work?
The Zenka Loan App is a mobile loan app that allows you to borrow Ksh 500 – Ksh 30,000, depending on your eligibility, and are required to pay the loan in 60-180 days. You, however, need to be an active M-PESA user with a clean credit record to qualify.
2. How Do I Get a Loan from Zenka?
You can get a loan from Zenka through their mobile app or by using the Zenka USSD code *841#. You’ll then need to follow all the steps, including registering for an account if you don’t have one.
3. How Much Can I Get from Zenka?
Depending on your credit record, M-PESA transactions, and Zenka payment history, if you have any, you can borrow KSh 500 – KSh 30,000. Zenka starts you typically with a lower amount, but you are likely to get higher limits if you pay promptly and borrow often.
4. How Long Does Zenka Take to Process a Loan?
According to Zenka, they disburse money into your M-PESA account in about 5 minutes once you receive the confirmation message indicating a successful application. Note, however, that it may take more time sometimes, especially if there are MPESA delays.
5. What Is the Interest Rate for Zenka?
Zenka charges you an interest rate of 9-39% depending on your loan, and you need to pay the loan plus interest within 60-180 days of your loan application.
6. How Do I Apply for A Loan Extension On the Zenka App?
If you have an existing loan and need extra days to repay the loan, follow these steps to apply for an extension:
- Launch Zenka on your phone
- Access the extension menu and click on it
- Then click on the extend now
7. Why Is Zenka Not Giving Me A Loan?
Getting the “not eligible” SMS response after a Zenka loan application can be annoying. But before jumping the gun, it’s essential to know why you are not eligible.
Overall, Zenka considers many factors before disbursing loans. That includes your credit record, MPESA transactions, and for how long your line has been active.
For example, if your line is not older than six months or you rarely transact via MPESA, the chances are that you’ll get a ‘not eligible’ response. Likewise, if another lender has blacklisted you, you are more likely to be denied a loan by Zenka.
8. Is My Data Secure with Zenka?
According to Zenka, they use state-of-the-art encryption technology to secure your data. In that case, the only party they share with is CRB, but that’s after you default in payment and have been ignoring their reminders and calls.
Now you know what it takes to download the Zenka loan app, apply for the loan, and pay it successfully. But still, you have the *841# USSD option if you cannot access the loan app.