While many mobile loan apps in Kenya offer unsecured loans, the Opesa loan app stands among the most popular ones. With over 1,000,000 installations, this app by Tensport Kenya Limited is taking the Kenyan mobile loan market by storm.
Opesa promises to disburse money into your MPESA line in minutes, provided you have a good credit record.
According to the Opesa official app, you can borrow Ksh 1,500 – Ksh 50,000 depending on your credit history and MPESA usage, and you have 91-365 days to pay back at a maximum APR (annual percentage rate) of 36%.
Opesa generally promises swift customer response and a seamless loan application and repayment process. But like every other mobile money app, there’s so much to learn before applying for a loan.
So, this review shall look at the pros and cons of getting a loan from Opesa, how to apply, eligibility requirements, repayment process, penalties, among other important information.
But first, below is a table summary of Opesa loan amount and rates:
|Opesa App Download||Google Play Store|
|Minimum Amount||Ksh 1,500|
|Maximum Amount||Ksh 50,000|
|Service Fee||Ksh 100-Ksh 600|
|Applicants Age||18-55 years|
|Loan Tenure||91-365 days|
|Default Penalty Per Day||2.4%|
Opesa Loan App Eligibility Requirements
Opesa expects you to meet these minimum requirements before you can apply for a loan:
- Be aged 18-55 years and with a valid Kenyan I.D or passport
- Own a registered Safaricom line with an active MPESA account
- The line should have been active for at least the past six months
- Possess an Android smartphone
- Have access to the internet when applying for the loan
- Have a good CRB (Credit Reference Bureau) record
Opesa Loan App Download
Here are the simple steps for downloading Opesa on your phone:
- Go to Google Play and search for ‘Opesa.’
- Click download to initiate the app download
- Install the app on your phone
Congratulations! You’ve successfully installed the Opesa app on your android phone.
How to Register for Opesa Loan
Upon installing Opesa, you can go ahead and set your profile. Opesa expects you to offer honest information, which you cannot change in the future
Here’s how to go about it:
- Enter your names, just like they appear on your I.D.
- Fill in your date of birth and then your I.D. number, and email address
- Provide two emergency contacts (specify their full names, phone numbers, and the relationship between you two)
- Then enter your work information, including your monthly income and payday
- State if you have any outstanding loans with other online lenders
- Wait for the confirmation message
How to Apply for Opesa Loan (Opesa Loan Application Online)
After getting the confirmation message stating that you can borrow from Opesa, go ahead and do it by following these steps:
- Launch Opesa on your smartphone
- Agree to the terms and conditions
- Give Opesa access permission to your contacts, SMA, call logs, and location information
- Log into the App
- Wait to receive the verification code and enter it
- Set a 4-digit password and confirm it
- Wait to see how much you qualify for and apply
- Wait for Opesa to disburse the amount to your MPESA account
Opesa Loan Limits
Opesa gives unsecured loans ranging from Ksh 1,500 to Ksh 50,000, depending on your credit history, MPESA usages, and personal data.
How to Increase Your Opesa Loan Limit
Below are strategies that you can use to increase your Opesa loan limit:
- Constantly update your Opesa loan app
- Use your phone frequently as Opesa continuously checks your calls and transactions to confirm you are not a robot.
- Repay your loan on time or before the due date
- Transact more using MPESA and keep messages
- Take Opesa loans regularly
- Don’t uninstall the Opesa app
Opesa Interest Rates
Opesa charges a maximum annual percentage rate of 36%. That’s if you go for the maximum tenure.
However, you are likely to pay 12-16.8% if you go for a short-term tenure (14-91 days).
How to Repay Your Opesa Loan
According to Opesa, you’ve 91-365 days to pay your loan. But according to some users, Opesa expects you to pay the loan in 14-91 days.
However, their customer support will inform you before the due date to help you pay on time. Note that Opesa allows earlier loan repayment, which comes with the advantage of increasing your loan limit.
You can repay your loan via MPESA, and here are the steps to follow:
- Open the MPESA menu on your mobile
- Go to the Lipa na MPESA
- Select Pay Bill n
- Key in the business number 606280 (Opesa’s Business Number)
- Provide your MPESA number under account number
- Type the amount you want to repay
- Enter your pin before pressing Ok
Is the Opesa Loans App Worth It? Pros and Cons
On a negative note, paying an annual percentage rate of up to 36% sounds like much money if you ask me. The 2.4% daily penalty for payment default is also much money.
The other issue is that Opesa sometimes resorts to texting and calling your contacts when you default to paying, which is pretty annoying.
So, if you want a smoother process, you should pay the loan timely. And if you take a shorter tenure, it’ll mean paying a smaller APR, sometimes of up to 9%.
But the concerns aside, Opesa has some fantastic provisions that make it worth it. Here are some of them:
- No hidden charges (just one-time service charge of Ksh 100-Ksh 600)
- Quick loan disbursement
- Loans of up to Ksh 50,000
- Longer payment tenure (91-365 days)
- No paperwork
- No guarantor or collateral
Opesa Loan App Contacts
You can reach out to Opesa using any of the following contact details:
- Landline: 020 7650 999
- WhatsApp: 0758 706 946
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @Opesa_Official
- Facebook Page: @OpesaOfficial
People Also Ask
1. How Can I Get a Loan from Opesa?
You can get a loan with Opesa by downloading the Opesa loan app on Google Play using your Android phone.
You’ll then need to set your profile and fill the questionnaires before applying for a loan limit that you qualify for. However, it’s essential that CRB does not blacklist you and that your MPESA line has been active for at least six months. If not, you won’t be eligible for an Opesa loan.
2. Are Opesa and Okash the Same?
Despite Opesa and Okash bearing different names, they are owned by the same company, Tensport Kenya Limited.
3.How Can I Become Eligible for an Opesa Loan?
You can become eligible for the Opesa loan if you:
- Have a registered Safaricom line and an active MPESA account
- Are aged 18-55 with a valid I.D. or passport
- Have an Android smartphone
- Enjoy a good credit score
4. What is Opesa Loan Limit?
Opesa gives flexible unsecured loans from Ksh 1,500 to Ksh, depending on your credit history and transactions.
Opesa, however, expects you to pay promptly and often borrow to qualify for higher limits.
5. How Much Interest Does Opesa Charge?
Opesa charges a maximum annual percentage rate of 36% for a maximum tenure of 365 days. Short-term loans, however, attract an interest rate of 12-16.8%, payable in 14-91 days. In case of a default, Opesa charges a 2.44 daily interest on top of the regular charges.
6. Do Opesa Penalize Late Repayments?
YES! After you default your loan, Opesa fines you a 2.4% fee every day on top of your loan amount.
And if 20 days from the due date elapses without repaying your loan, Opesa forwards your details to the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB), where you become blacklisted from applying for loans from other lenders in the future. That’s until you pay what you owe Opesa and the CRB clearance fee.
7. What Happens If I Overpay My Opesa Loan?
In case of an overpayment, you need to contact Opesa customer support, who will disburse the excess cash into your MPESA within 15 days.
8. Can Opesa Extend My Repayment Date?
The simple answer is NO! After you agree with Opesa and set the repayment date you are comfortable with, Opesa cannot grant requests for repayment date extension. You’ll have to pay for the penalty and try to avoid getting blacklisted by the CRB.
But since they seem to have a good customer desk, you can try reaching out to them explaining why you cannot pay the loan in time. Perhaps they may listen and give you the extension or, at the very least, delay blacklisting you.
Closing Remarks on Opesa Loan App!
Opesa is not perfect, and neither is any of the best online loans apps in Kenya. What’s clear, though, is that they have flexible terms and offer decent loan limits. All you have to do is ensure you pay the loan in time and build your credit record.
But before anything, you should go through the terms of the loan and understand them before applying. That’s how you can become more responsible with your decisions, especially involving a mobile lender like Opesa.