Railway travel in Kenya is not what it used to be in the olden days. The coming of the SGR system has brought with it enhanced travel exposure via rail, and the experience is only getting better. Today more than ever, the SGR online booking via Mpesa makes it easy for you to book your seat fast.
The SGR online booking via Mpesa is a means to get your ticket faster than you would if you went to book at the terminal. Once you make your payment from the comfort of your home, you’ll just have to print your receipt and get on with your travel when ready.
In this guide, you’ll learn exactly how to book the SGR seat online with Mpesa. Whether you wish to travel alone or you intent to come with your family, you should find this guide useful.
How to Book SGR Ticket via M-PESA
You can now save yourself some long queuing time at the train terminus by booking your SGR ticket online through M-PESA.
The M-PESA booking process for a train ticket is easy.
- Dial *639# via your Safaricom line.
- Choose the train you wish to travel in from the list shown (Inter-County Express, Nairobi – Mombasa Express, Mombasa – Nairobi Express, and Suswa train).
- Choose the time you wish to depart.
- Pick the day you wish to board the train for your travel.
- Pick the class you wish to travel in.
- Enter the total number of passengers traveling.
- Key in the number of children you are traveling with who are between 3 and 11 years old.
- Provide your personal details (Name, Gender, ID, Nationality).
Note that the personal details you provide must be accurate. You will use these details to collect your ticket once at the train station.
- Select M-pesa as your preferred payment option and make the payment.
The next step would be to print your ticket at the train terminus.
Be aware that each time you dial *639# to book your SGR ticket through M-PESA, Safaricom will charge you Ksh. 1 from your airtime balance.
- SGR Train Schedule and Prices
- Mash Poa Online Booking: Regional Routes and Prices
- ENA Coach Online Booking and Prices
How to Book SGR Online Via the Website and Mpesa
If you don’t want to incur charges imposed on the USSD code or you don’t have sufficient balance to use the USSD service, you can do your booking online via the KRC official website.
- Start by selecting the type of train you want to travel in (inter-county, Express, or Suswa).
- Choose where you are coming from and where you are headed
- Choose the date you wish to travel.
- Provide your departure time.
- Click Book a Train.
- Next, provide the number of adults, children 12 to 17 years, and children 3 to 11 years traveling.
- Provide your personal details (full name, ID or passport, gender, and nationality).
Keep in mind that sharing your personal identification is necessary for the process. Also, note that two adults cannot share the same ID.
- Provide your phone number and email (where email provision is optional).
- Click Proceed to Payment.
- A confirmation receipt will show, carefully study it and confirm if the information is correct.
- Confirm you are a human by clicking the “I am not a Robot” box to complete the capture.
- Agree to KRC’s terms and conditions by checking the Terms and Condition box.
- You can choose to Pay Now or Pay Later.
The final steps once you choose Pay to complete your online booking are as follows:
- Open the M-PESA Menu on your phone
- Select Lipa na Mpesa
- Select Paybill
- Key in KRC’s Paybill number 809888
- Key in Account Number 6809862
- Enter the amount, Ksh. 1,000 or Ksh. 3,000 depending on the class seat you want to book.
- Input your M-PESA PIN and wait for a confirmation message from M-PESA.
- Now, click the confirm payment button on the site.
That’s it you’ve just booked yourself a ticket on the SGR train via the KRC website.
SRG Online Booking via M-PESA Charges
The SGR trains serve two types of passengers: the first class travelers and economic class passengers.
At the time of writing, the Kenya Railway Corporation KRC charges adults Ksh. 3,000 for the first-class seats and half the price for children aged 3 to 11.
Passengers who wish to book seats in the economic section will pay Ksh. 1.000 for adults and Ksh. 500 for children aged 3 to 11 years old.
SGR Customer Care Number
Madaraka Express passengers can get in touch with customer support at 0709 388 887 for inquiries and complaints as well as for lost and found items.
If you want to book a service for the Madaraka Express SGR train, get in touch with the KRC customer support team at 0709 388 888.
If you have serious issues with their services, you may directly contact customer care via 0709 907 000.
8 SGR Passenger Service Conditions
- Passengers should arrive at least 1 hour earlier than the time indicated on the ticket.
- Passengers must have original documents to identify them during the travel.
- Any rescheduling or cancellation of a journey should be communicated at the counter 48 hours earlier.
- An original identification document plus a photocopy should be presented at the counter when canceling or rescheduling a journey.
- SGR train tickets cannot be transferred.
- Passengers are not supposed to bring along pets, sprays flammable sprays, or sharp objects.
- Passengers are only supposed to use M-PESA to pay for the travel – don’t pay for a ticket through the bank.
- Passengers must not carry alcoholic drinks to the train station or on the train.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I Book SGR and Pay Later
Yes, you get two payment options while booking the SGR train and the options are Pay Now or Pay Later.
2. How Do I Access My SGR Online Booking?
Accessing the SGR online booking is so easy. Go to the KRC official website or use this link.
3. Can You Carry Food on SGR?
Kenya Railway Corporation (KRC) issued a notice that you should not bring food as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages to the SGR trains.
4. First Class vs Economy Seat: Which is SGR?
You will get to your destination whether you book the first class or the economy seat.
But if you want more privacy, quick access to the washrooms, uninterrupted viewing of nature, fewer people around, faster catering, and more comfort while traveling, you should consider booking the first class seat.
Now that you know how to book an SGR seat online via Mpesa, it should be easy for you to get your train ticket whenever you’re planning to travel.